Craig Issod wrote:

> >>  Using 3.23.32 on FreeBsd 3.2
> >>
> >>  Have gotten a sample fulltext search going, but cannot figure out how
> >>  to shorten the word length to 2 o3 3, from the default 4.
> >>
> >  > Yes, I've read the docs, and tried the following:
> >>  Setting variable using mysqld on command line...it won't take it.
> >>
> >>  Looking at the variables - SHOW VARIABLES - it's not in there.
> >>  ft_min_word_length does not seem to even exist. Can I simply create
> >  > it somehow?
> >
> >The file needs to be named 'my.cnf'.  Please Read:
>
>>http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Administration.html#Option_files
> >

> Will adding variable line to one of the sample .cnf files, moving and
> renaming that file to my data directory and then restarting the
> server work?

I think so.  You want to add it as "set-variable = ft_min_word_len=3" without the
quotes AND (if you check
out the docs on said variable) you /must/ rebuild the index before it will take
effect.  Restarting the
server will have it re-read the config file, then you want to rebuild the index.

b.
mysql