Hi!

On Nov 13, Christopher Thorpe wrote:
> Hi Sergei
>
> Sorry to post off list to you, not sure what else to do... I've posted to
> the list twice but received no reply at all to my query. I'm doing a whole
> load of MATCH AGAINST queries, but have no luck at all in using the
> truncation operator. I can use the +word just fine to make sure that words
> are present, so I know that 4.0 is working fine for me (I'm on Win2K), but
> when I do the following query I get 239 records
>
> SELECT arx_title FROM arx WHERE MATCH (arx_authors) AGAINST ('Jonathan')
>
> when I do this I get none
>
> SELECT arx_title FROM arx WHERE MATCH (arx_authors) AGAINST ('Jon*')
>
> and when I do this (just to check!!) I get an error
>
> SELECT arx_title FROM arx WHERE MATCH (arx_authors) AGAINST ('Jon'*)
>
> Please can you tell me how to use the truncation operator, because it's
> really pretty vital for what we're trying to do with the Fulltext search
> (which we all think performs way better than Oracle's by the way)
>
> best wishes and sorry again
>
> Chris

Try ...AGAINST ('Jonat*'), for example.
I think 'Jon' is discarded by the engine because it's less then
ft_min_len (not very smart for truncation operator, indeed).

I cannot verify it, though, as in the development source tree fulltext
search is completely rewritten now, so to test that for you I have to
download and build 4.0.0 sources.

Regards,
Sergei

--