Hi!

Sinisa> Erik Price writes:
>> Sinisa, everyone,
>>
>> That's great news!  I'm excited to hear that.  Which version would that
>> be... 4.0?  Or perhaps another 3.x version?
>>
>> In the meantime, my boss is going to wonder why I'm not populating a
>> database for him.  He will make me use Access if I don't get cracking,
>> so... do you know of a working version of MySQL for Darwin 1.4.1 ?
>>
>> Alternatively, I am open to a workaround until the working version is
>> released.  I can actually use MySQL (as far as I know), it's just the
>> "shutdown" that hangs.  I have to use "kill -9" in order to kill the
>> daemon.  This makes me worry about my data, since this command has the
>> potential to cause corruption.  Is there some way that I can preserve
>> the data, or protect it from corruption, so that at the end of the day
>> when I shut down my laptop I can use "kill -9" without fear of damaging
>> the contents?

You can do the following unilt 3.23.45 is released (probably by the
end of this week).

Make a short perl program that executes
'FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK'

followed by a kill -9 on the mysqld process.

If you know that no client is connected to mysqld, you can just do:

mysqladmin flush-tables

and then issue the kill -9

<cut>

>> PS: do you advise that I beta-test the upcoming MySQL version?  I would
>> be open to this idea, especially if it fixes my problem, but I am
>> working in a production environment and so would be best served with as
>> stable a release as is available.

We run a lot of test on each MySQL release, and even alpha versions
are usually 'reasonable stable';  Even if many people are already using
4.0 in a production environment we encourage you to test it throughly
in your setup before converting to use this!

Regards,
Monty