Hello all,

Some of you may recognize this post somewhat, I've asked about this
problem before:

I am unable to execute the "shutdown" command with mysqladmin, running
on Darwin 1.4.1 (from Mac OS X 10.1.0).

Originally, I had compiled MySQL 3.23.44 from source code, specifying
the following options during ./configure :

--prefix=/usr/local/mysql
--with-unix-socket-path=/usr/local/mysql/run/mysql_socket
--with-mysqld-user=mysql --with-comment --with-debug

And I started the daemon with

bin/safe_mysqld --socket=/usr/local/mysql/run/mysql_socket &

Everything worked great, but when I tried to use

mysqladm@localhost$ mysqladmin -u root -p shutdown

I would end up just "hanging" there.  Eventually, the only way I could
take down the daemon was with a kill -9 (regular "kill" wouldn't work).
 I posted to this list about my problem a few times, and discussed some
possibilities with some others on this list (thanks everyone who had
input).  Some suggested trying a recompile without the "--with-debug"
option, which I did.  The exact same problem persisted.

So then I used

root@localhost# rm -R /usr/local/mysql

and proceeded to download the binary from my local mirror.  The binary
for Darwin is a hair older than the source code I had tried,
mysql-3.23.43-apple-darwin .

I put the tarball into /usr/local and extracted it, then went about the
usual permissions-changing and ran scripts/mysql_install_db .
Everything was good to go.  I started the daemon with

bin/safe_mysqld &

(no specifying the socket this time because it was in the default
location, wherever that is.)  Started up great, no problems.  So I
decided to test the shutdown command again.  I executed the exact same
command:

mysqladm@localhost$ bin/mysqladmin -u root -p shutdown

and once again, after entering the password, it just hung.  Just like
with my source install, I had to use a kill -9 to get the daemon to
shut down.

I'm really excited about working with MySQL, I just need to get it up
and running!  Well, that's not actually the problem, but I need to be
able to shut it down.  This is being run on my G3 "bronze" laptop with
OS X 10.1 / Darwin 1.4.1 .  I'm very surprised that the binary didn't
work correctly, since according to mysql.com, it has been configured
with the best options for my platform.

Does anyone have any advice?  Suggestions?  Input?  Help?  I really
appreciate anyting anyone can add to this situation.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

PS: if you respond directly to the list, please CC me as I am a
"digester" and won't get your response until the digest comes out...