On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 10:14:52 +0100, Giuseppe Maxia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   wrote:

>>You can export using
>>SELECT fieldlist INTO OUTFILE "filename" FROM table;
>>
>>This will create a file with tab separated fields. It is Excel default separator.
>>Within Excel, you can open the file, by giving filetype text, and a wizard will
>>guide you through the translation.
>>
>>You can create a CSV file by adding , at the end of the SQL statement,
>>FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' ENCLOSED BY '"'

thanks, that this should work perfectly. one other question regarding the select
.. into outfile..

this is the query being used:

SELECT * INTO OUTFILE "/home/tracerta/tmp/producd_id.txt"
FIELDS TERMINATED BY ',' ENCLOSED BY '"' LINES TERMINATED BY '\n'
FROM product_id;

Now if I log into mysql under the client's username password, which has full
privilegs on the database being used here: 'tracers' it will not allow this
query to be executed, I keep getting the error, "access denied for
tracerta@localhost using password (yes)."

But if I log into mysql under 'root', then I can execute the query with no
problems. The OUTFILE is in the client's account on the server, the 'tmp' folder
is chmoded 0777 and owned by the client 'tracerta'

Is there a special privilege setting for selecting into outfile ??

thanks,

database mysql

Mike(mickalo)Blezien
Thunder Rain Internet Publishing