> I have been trying to load the textual contents of a file from my
> hard drive
> space into a field (Description) of my mySQL table (Software) using the
> follwing query.  The query runs succfessfully

How do you know that it's successful? What success/error codes
(if any) are returned?

> <cut>

> ISP to give me these privileges and still it did not work.  I am
> pretty sure
> the ISP is using PHP 4.

Knowing the MySQL version is probably a lot more interesting. Make
a PHP script containing just the line <? phpinfo(); ?> and load
it into your browser. That will give you information on both.

>  Please provide any leads you may have.  The
> permissions on the description_file is 777.

What about the rest of the path? Is that readably by MySQL as well?

/ Carsten
--
Carsten H. Pedersen
keeper and maintainer of the bitbybit.dk MySQL FAQ