John,

I know what you mean, to some extent.  I bought a recently-published
book that served as an introduction to MySQL and PHP.  I thought it
would be perfect -- it seemed to be engagingly written, and specifically
dealt with what I wanted to learn about.  The only problem was that the
editing was terrible.  Typos, grammar mis-uses, and worst of all, the
code did not match the diagrams or even the text of the book in some
cases.  It would have been fine for someone who already has a foundation
in MySQL or PHP, but for someone starting from scratch, it was worthless.

We all know computer books aren't inexpensive.  They cost usually $30
(US) minimum, and often as much as $35-40 for a good one.  I can't speak
for everyone, but that pretty much puts me back a few when I plunk down
the bucks and it's not worthwhile.  So I took the book back to the store
and spent a few more dollars to get a book that was heavily recommended
by the MySQL site book reviewers.  I can honestly say that I'm very
satisfied with the purchase.

What happened here was I spent some money on a product that wasn't
worthwhile, and then I did something about it.  I got my money back, and
found a better way to spend it.  So, while I can understand your
frustration, I guess that begs the question -- do you want your money
back?

Erik