Just For My Info: does it take long for one insert.  if so, what does
the insert statement look like.  the reason i ask is becuase i use
InnoDB and inserted a few records and it was pretty quick.  but maybe
thats becuase my statement was:
insert into table (user,email,firstname,lastname) values
('bob','[EMAIL PROTECTED]','Bob','Cornelious');

it also autoincrements the uid column automatically.

it's pretty simple and quick.

Chris Withers wrote:

> Norman Khine wrote:
>
>>Welcome to the MySQL list;^) good to see you here...
>>

> *grinz* It's weird being a newbie again :-P
>

>>"In inserts InnoDB uses the insert buffer to merge secondary index records
>>to indexes in batches. That saves a lot of disk i/o. In rollback no such
>>mechanism is used, and the rollback can take 30 times longer than the
>>insertion."
>>

> Well, I'm not doing any rollbacks, just groups of inserts followed by a commit.
>Changing the number of inserts per
> commit doesn't seem to have an effect one way or another.
>
> Are InnoDB tables dog slow on inserts and lightning quick on selects or am I bashing
>my head against something silly?
>
> If it helps, this is currently on Win2K, 3.23.44-max-nt.
> The machine has about 600Mb RAM and a 20GB Ultra80 SCSI drive, along with two PIII
>500Mhz processors.
>
> Any ideas still greatfully received ;-)
>
> Chris

Joe Ellis