Joe Ellis wrote:

> Just For My Info: does it take long for one insert.  if so, what does
> the insert statement look like.  the reason i ask is becuase i use
> InnoDB and inserted a few records and it was pretty quick.  but maybe
> thats becuase my statement was:
> insert into table (user,email,firstname,lastname) values
> ('bob','[EMAIL PROTECTED]','Bob','Cornelious');

Well, it's full text idnexing, so it goes roughly like this:

-start transaction

repeat for each word in document to be indexed:

  select wordid for dictionary
  if no wordid found:
    insert word into dictionary, make note of wordid

  then, for each wordid from the above list:
    insert (word_id,document_id,pos) into another table

-end transaction

All pretty simple too...

cheers,

Chris