Am 18 Dec 2001 16:11:18 -0800 schrieb Jeremiah Jester:
> Went through these steps and resetup the tables but im still unable to set a
> new password.
>
> The command i used was:
>
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -p password mypassword
>
> I then was prompted for a password. But when it failed to authenticate I
> recieved this error:
>
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'

Yes,
that's correct like this.

I assume now that you want to set your initial password on the databse
as you didn't already set one. You did not set any password until now
and you cleaned up all your mysql Data before, dealing with a complete
clean Mysql INstallation for now.

That means you will have to use mysqadmin _without_ the -p option,
as this option means "for the user given with -u exists a password and I
want to be prompted for this _actual_ password". The "password" keyword
then means that you want to set the _new_ password for the user given
with -u to the word after the keyword password.

So, for now you have to type:

mysqladmin -u root password YOURNEWPASSWORD

after that when you want to change it againg, you will have to type

mysqladmin -u root -p password MYSECONDNEWPASSWORD

you will then be asked to type your old password one last time,
then it will be changed to MYSECONDNEWPASSWORD.

Sorry,
some of my answers where a bit confusing in this thread!

And OT: the last mail that came from me through the list shouldn't
normally be sent out, I am just betatesting Ximian Evolution Mailer, and
it really fucking sucks, at least the Version that come with Suse 7.3 -
sending mail you don't want to be sent and not sending mail you consider
beeing sent since long time is not considered a feature!

henning