Hi,

I am having this exact error message. I have not used mysql before and I
mailed this question before and someone answered but it didn't work. I have
compiled and installed mysql. I run the mysql_install_db script and it tells
me to change my password. I have never set a password as this is the first
time I am running it. I was told to  NOT use the -p option which I did and it
prompts me for a password I enter it and I get the not authorised use @
localhost message.

what is the exact command line used to set the intial password.

Thanks,

Matt.