Hi folks,

I know I had got that working months ago, but now I had to set up another
PC for a customer - this time it was a Linux machine.
This cost me 2 (TWO) days to find out what was the error of MySQLGUI Error
Number One...

(***)  "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket (111)"

This is almost a "historical" error, having puzzled hundreds, maybe
thousands of mysql newbies through the years. I can name thousands of
mailing list and usenet entries that document this.
MySQL Setup was actually working fine: mysqld was running, of course,
mysql.sock existed, and /etc/my.cnf was added the [client] and
[client_fltk] section like described in the README. The client worked from
the command line, but didn't from MySQLGUI.

Now the MOST MISLEADING EVER thing was just to come:

Manage->Options->Server->"Sql command to connect (or socket)" with *THIS*
description to its right:

"Force use of named pipes (Win32)".
Mr. Willwink, MySQL[GUI] newbie, might now say "hey! obviously I don't need
this because __it's Win32 only__" (!!!!!)
Yes, that's what I too think that "(Win32)" suggests for most users.
Now you *might* know why most newbies don't even *think* of putting the
socket name there because they think that it's taken from the [mysqld]
section of /etc/my.cnf. It would be a great thing (and a logical one, too),
but unfortunately it's not taken from /etc/my.cnf, but redundantly input a
second time *in* the MySQLGUI GUI. I don't think it's hard to tell MySQLGUI
in the code to take the mysql.sock path from /etc/my.cnf _if the socket
field is left empty in the GUI_. That would avoid confusing lots and lots
of new users.

And I swear: if you leave the field empty, you *WILL* get the above error
(***) with 100% probability!
So I suggest to remove that misleading "Win32".

Oh well, 2 days of extra work and documentation because of a simple
misleading (IMHO) helpful comment.
Nice, ain't it ;-). Nevertheless, no offense.

Andreas

P.S. Sorry for the long post.