Sinisa

                    Milivojevic          To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    <sinisa@mysql        cc:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    .com>                Subject:     Re: I *think* that I've just
found the most misleading
                                         item in MySQLGUI..

                    19.12.01

                    18:56

                    Please

                    respond to

                    sinisa

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>> But WHY, simply do tell me *why*! *Why* doesn't it know that?
>> I put the path of /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock in /etc/my.cnf, that should
be
>> already enough, isn't it?!
>> Tell me a *plausible* reason why and I shut up. ;-)
>>

>> Greetings
>> Andreas

>Erase MySQL.options, restart mysqlgui (if it is the latest) and socket
>file will show up where it should !!

Hold on. I didn't say anything about it not _showing up_. :)
I just erased /home/mysql/.mysql/MySQL.options. OK. I restarted mysqlgui
... OK.

My /etc/my.cnf begins with this:
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

locate *DOES* find a mysql.sock in /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock. This file
_exists_. OK so far?
/etc/my.cnf *DOES* have the mysql.sock in the configuration file, and it's
in the correct path, and locate finds it. Got that? :)

But like i said in my previous post, MySQLGUI doesn't *CARE* about the
entries made in /etc/my.cnf, as far as I understand. Why use an additional
options file having the socket path included if the mysql.sock path can be
easily read out from my.cnf??

>But if you did not have entry in /my.cnf, saved options, then it is
>read no more as mysqlgui will hounour just options file.

But I have!
I *have* put it into /etc/my.cnf.

And the gist of my post was:

"If you do  n o t  put the path to your mysql.sock   m a n u a l l y  into
the MySQL GUI in the 'Sql command on connect ( or socket)' field,
*MySQLGUI* *won't* *find* *that* *path* *by itself*".
And I do not understand why it doesn't find that path by itself.
Putting in the path by hand WORKS, yes. But that can't be it.
*Sigh*

Andreas