Hello Roger,

Thank you for your note and feedback.  With your assistance and reading up
on InnoDB, I'm getting closer.  Further inline;

On 29 December 2001 22:21, Roger Baklund wrote;

[snip-1]
> I think you would need to restart the mysqld server daemon, but
> this is very
> fast, and can be done with virtually no downtime. (1-2 seconds is my
> experience, I suppose this depends on a number of factors, so you should
> test it on your system.)
[snip-2]
I should also tell you that I have never used the Innodb table handler.
[snip-3]
> innodb_data_file_path is used to define database partitions or
> 'tablespace'
> and define a size for those partitions. This must be changed when your
> tables are growing beyond the predefined size, and I suppose a restart is
> needed, but I don't know for sure.
Roger, I attempted adding additional space with a new file under
innodb_data_file_path as follows;
Before: innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:50M;ibdata2:50M
After : innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:50M;ibdata2:50M;ibdata3:50M
Stopped and restarted MySQL, but this did nothing.  Could you please point
me!

> > Roger, I managed to place different databases each at altogether
> > different locations using the filename.sym option.  However, no
> > matter how much data I loaded, the table sizes stay at 9kb.
>
> I don't understand this... how do you know what the size of the
> table is? As
> I said, I have never used Inndb, but the tables are stored within
> the ibdata
> files, are they not? So, how do you know how many kb?
Knowing almost nothing about MySQL & InnoDB, I looked at the .frm file,
thinking they are the data files, and they have a file size of 9kb.

> > This lead me to assume that when using the innodb option (for
> > transactions), that the data is loaded in the ibdata files.  If
>
> Yes, all data, including indexes, are stored in the ibdata files.
Thank you for clarifying.

> > this is the case then how do I place the ibdata files (related to
> > the innodb option) at different locations for different databases?
>
> By setting innodb_data_home_dir to the root path and use a
> relative path in
> the innodb_data_file_path parameter, as shown in the example above. This
> will however not give you different locations for different
> databases... see
> below.
This is also my understanding.  It scares me.  Thus when using MySQL with
InnoDB, all data of all databases on my different website stages, viz.,
PROD, QA, DEV would share the same InnoDB dataspace for data.  Thus PROD
data is at risk.  And furthermore, data cannot be backed up separately.  I
feel this is an oversight of MySQL & InnoDB.  And let me add further, my
concern is that when I eventually go live, with a HSP, that my data would
thus be shared further with other websites hosted on the same server.
Surely I'm overlooking something.  Could this please be logged as a major
issue?

[snip]
> That is correct, I have never used Innodb, and I don't use
> transactions with
> mysql.
This being the case, a further thank you for assisting.

[snip]
> In that case, I would guess the data is not stored there. :)
>
> Maybe you are looking at the .frm files? This is the table
> definitions only.
Yes I was.  Thank you for clarifying.

[snip]
> ok, I think I understand now... :)
>
> Your _database_ is not innodb, your tables are: type=innodb is an
> option to
> the CREATE TABLE statement, not the CREATE DATABASE statement. As far as I
> can tell from the manual, you can not instruct mysql to keep one innodb
> table in one particular tablespace, in other words: you can _not_ put
> different databases on different locations, thus my answer to
> your questions
> #2 and #4 was wrong. Sorry! (again, I have never used innodb, there may be
> some way to this that I don't know about.)
Again thank you for confirming and clarifying.

Roger, thank you for all your assistance so far.  I'm clearer on several
things.  Could you possibly assist me in taking the issue further; that with
InnoDB sharing the same dataspace, and therefore different unrelated
databases's data being at risk.

Kind regards