>From the Manual (21.11 Problems with File Permissions)

By default MySQL will create database and RAID directories with permission
type 0700. You can modify this behavior by setting the UMASK_DIR variable.
If you set this, new directories are created with the combined UMASK and
UMASK_DIR. For example, if you want to give group access to all new
directories, you can do:

shell> UMASK_DIR=504  # = 770 in octal
shell> export UMASK_DIR
shell> /path/to/safe_mysqld &

In MySQL Version 3.23.25 and above, MySQL assumes that the value for UMASK
and UMASK_DIR is in octal if it starts with a zero.

So either the dir has to be owned by the same user which runs mysqld .... or
change the current directory permissions and the UMASK_DIR to prevent
further issues.

Regards,
Dan