Amazing!  I've not had a chance to upgrade a server to
2.4 yet, though I've long imagined that the results would
be similar.

I imagine the biggest performance boost you received is
due to the built-in multi-threading that the 2.4 kernel
enjoys which is currently lacking in the 2.2 kernel.

Linux is becoming more robust all the time along with a
pretty hard kernel.  It's come a looooooooong way in a
short time.  Linux is developing along a more solid path
than Windoze.  Even the big boys are turning to open
source to handle the high-traffic/high-availability
jobs.  Yahoo saved somewhere around 17 million dollars
by switching needed infrastructure over to linux/open
source.  I just read today that MySQL is their big
database that handles 800 transactions a second for their
stock quotes and financial handlings.

In the year that M$ wants to rent the OS to you, linux
will only continue to grow in it's usage as the desktop
gets more friendly and the applications are developed
to make people want to use linux instead of windoze.

Tyler