From: Heikki Tuuri [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 3:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MySQL on Linux 2.4 question

Walt,

a possible reason is that fsync is much faster in Linux-2.4 than in 2.2.

Check that the combined size of your log files is 50 % - 100% of the buffer
pool size. Small log files cause more disk i/o and more fsyncs.

The kernel 2.4.4-SMP-64GB has been very stable on our 2-way computer.
Somewhere in about version 2.4.10 Linus changed the virtual memory. I am not
sure how stable kernels 2.4.10 - .17 are, but at least some people are
running them with success.

2.5.1 seems to be unstable.

Regards,

Heikki

Anyone else out there been playing with the new Linux 2.4 kernel?

I just upgraded a test server from 2.2 to 2.4 and reran some of my InnoDB
tests. The results were dramatic; updating a 600,000 row table went from 21
minutes and change to 6 minutes and change.

Haven't tried 2.4 and MyISAM tables yet; on 2.2 the same update ran in about
8 minutes.

This is obviously a big improvement, if my tests are valid. It's SUCH a big
improvement that I'm wondering if I messed something up.

Any comments/statement of support/snide remarks will all be appreciated.

Thanks,

--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana