While I don't like the idea of limiting messages to subscribers (I hate
signing up for things, especially when I'm only going to post a few
messages), I think it's still very important. Like any other problem,
ignoring it will only send a message of passive acceptance and the amount of
spam WILL increase. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that it will go
away.

Complaining that it's taking too long and too many messages to discuss a
problem is frankly a selfish and self-denying point. You're the ones who
want to ignore the spam, but at some point the amount of spam will be as
numerous as the messages you're complaining about now. Consider this a
glimpse at the future if we ignore the problem.

I don't believe spam will ever go away since some people are just determined
to get it through to everyone they can. However, we CAN eliminate a lot of
it because the majority of spammers are lazy.

So consider these two options:
1) The list gets restricted to member-posting only or at least something to
the effect of PHP's mailing list where your first initial post must be
verified to go through, and all subsequent posts are fine. As I said before,
since the majority of spammers are lazy, I don't believe many will take the
time to verify and send it out again... but you never know. In any case, the
list gets restricted and the amount of spam drops, as do these types of
arguments. I don't think people are going to raise hell over an occasional
spam. Once spamming programs find a way around the verification/subscription
programs, there will have to be additional improvements on them to continue
to deny those spamming programs. But the bottom line is that spam will drop.

2) The list stays the same. There will inevitably be more discussions like
this after a series of spammings, which will take up bandwidth, magnetize
your credit cards, and sour your milk. It'll be annoying because we'll all
be getting the spams and the protests against it. You'll get annoyed just
because of the protesters, but there's really nothing you can do about them.

The way I see it, we should go to option #1, as much as I hate subscribing.
It just makes the most sense.

- Jonathan