database,sql,query,table

Hi Stephen

Good to hear your very postive notes on Win2K/Coldfusion/MySQL. I'm just
setting up, and wondering about some notes in the MySQL documentation:

configuration file:

1.The install/data directories are different than the default `c:\mysql' and
`c:\mysql\data'.

2. If you want to use one of the these servers:

 mysqld.exe

mysqld-max.exe

mysqld-max-nt.exe

3. If you need to tune the server settings.

There are two configuration files with the same function: `my.cnf' and
`my.ini' file, however

please note that only of one these should can used. Both les are plain text.
The `my.cnf'

file should be created in the root directory of drive C and the `my.ini'
file on the WinDir

directory e.g: `C:\WINDOWS' or `C:\WINNT'. If your PC uses a boot loader
where the C drive

isn't the boot drive, then your only option is to use the `my.ini' file.
Also note that if you

use the WinMySQLAdmin tool, only the `my.ini' file is used. The `\mysql\bin'
directory

contains a help file with instructions for using this tool.

Using notepad.exe, create the configuration file and edit the base section
and keys:

[mysqld]

basedir=the_install_path #e.g. c:/mysql

datadir=the_data_path #e.g. c:/mysql/data or d:/mydata/data

If the data directory is other than the default `c:\mysql\data', you must
cut the

whole `\data\mysql' directory and paste it on the your option new directory,
e.g.:

`d:\mydata\mysql'.

If you want to use the InnoDB transactional tables, you need to manually
create two new

directories to hold the InnoDB data and log les, e.g. `c:\ibdata' and
`c:\iblogs'. You

will also need to add some extra lines to the configuration file.

If you don't want to use InnoDB tables, add the skip-innodb option to the
configuration file.

Now you are ready to test starting the server.<<<<

I have the MySQL database installed under directory drive letter 'E:\MySQL'
, the 'E:\' directory being what I use for all my software, and I use my
'D:\' directory for all data. This would seem to suggest that I fall under
number 1. of the above circumstances. However, I am finding the following
notes (as copied above) from the documentation less than clear.

Can you advise or clarify what the correct process is in this case?

Mark