Mark --

We've been running Cold Fusion with MySQL on the Solaris platform for
almost two years now and have had such terrible problems with Cold
Fusion errors that we have begun the process of migrating to PHP.   Our
average load has been about 30,000 .cfm pages (linked to MySQL backend)
served per week, which I don't consider to be too heavy a load to expect
the system to handle successfully.  Unfortunately, our log files are
riddled with fatal Cold Fusion errors and subsequent restarts.  It got
so bad that we had to institute a cron job to check for the happiness of
the CF processes every 3 minutes and restart them if there was a
problem.

No amount of MySQL configuration tweaking, query optimization, Cold
Fusion configuration tweaking, Cold Fusion query caching, or version
upgrades of MySQL or Cold Fusion made much of a dent in the problem.
I've heard from a number of other folks concerning similar experiences.
Allaire pointed the finger at MySQL, which I've had no reason to believe
is the problem.  To back that assertion up, I can say that converting
our most heavily used dynamic pages from CF to PHP has already had an
*incredible* effect on the stability of the system, with no other MySQL
changes.

If you are thinking of running CF on Solaris, save yourself the
headaches and use PHP instead.

I can't speak to it's performance on Windows.

My 2 cents,
Andy

Andy Ingham
Systems Librarian