Could be the 2.4.17 kernel..

I run a Dual RH 7.1 machine:

mysql> status;
--------------
<--snip-->
Uptime:                 57 days 11 hours 57 min 28 sec

#uptime
 11:36am  up 57 days, 13:28,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
#uname -a
Linux [hidden] 2.4.8 #3 SMP Tue Aug 14 09:47:47 CDT 2001 i686 unknown

---
In a message from Heikki Tuuri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The kernel 2.4.4-SMP-64GB has been very stable on our 2-way computer.
Somewhere in about version 2.4.10 Linus changed the virtual memory. I am
not
sure how stable kernels 2.4.10 - .17 are, but at least some people are
running them with success.
----

That could be the problem.

Down grade to 2.4.9 or .8, patch up the security holes, if any in
that kernel, and give that a test run.

Johnny Withers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
p. 601.853.0211