You don't understand.  You need to use a operating system which has a
filesystem which lifts the 2 GB limit.  By default from every Linux
distrobtion I have used, if the OS has lifted the limit then they usually
fix all the programs to uses the new file size capabilities.

Raid doesn't help at all for the limit because the physical limit by the
OS is a file size limit and not a partition or drive limit.

Increase the max rows as you see appropriate but that is almost never the
problem in terms of file size issues like you are having.

Raids don't really help Table performance because in almost all cases the
bottlneck is caused by the drives access time.  raiding drives doesn't
increase the access time therefore, you are most likely not going to see
and poerformance increases using a raid system unless you are change to
drives to ones with lower access times.

Benjamin Arai
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Geoffrey Soh wrote:

> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 08:51:33AM +0100, Dr. Frank Ullrich wrote:
> > > Benjamin,
> > > can you also grow MyISAM tables to such sizes?
> >
> > You can.
>
> I understand that the RAID option can help break the 2GB/4GB barrier, esp.
> on Linux machines.
>
> But how do you surpass the Max_data_length restriction of 4294967295 bytes
> on a "RAIDED" table?  do you increase max_rows on such a table?  if so,
> would this affect the performance of a large table e.g. above 50GB?
>
> Without changing max_rows it seems that MySQL will still restrict the table
> size to 4GB, even with raid_chunks and raid_chunksize set to e.g. 50 and
> 256?
>
> Anyone out there tweaked these settings before and what was the outcome?
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Geoffrey
>
> Geoffrey Soh, Software Architect
> Ufinity - http://www.ufinity.com
> Leading Enterprise Access Management Software!
> 9 Scotts Road, Pacific Plaza, #06-01, Singapore 228210
> Tel   : +65 830-0341
> Fax  : +65 737-0213

Benjamin Arai
[EMAIL PROTECTED]