I've recently converted from using MyISAM to InnoDB tables, and am
pleased with InnoDB so far. However, the inability to use 'ALTER TABLE'
with InnoDB tables is very problematic, as our software is still under
heavy development and our database schema changes frequently. I'm
working on a way to automate the drop/create/repopulate process to alter
tables, but am running into a few problems:

Is there a way to prevent clients from noticing that the table in
question is temporarily gone? Something like locking the entire database
for writing?

Second, mysqldump doesn't give foreign key constraints in its table
creation commands. Is there any way to retrieve these?

--