Thus spake John Kemp on Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:37:07PM -0500:
> 2) Then I tried mysqldumping the table structure, and changing MyISAM ->
> INNODB, dropped the table, and ran the mysqldump output back into the
> database. The INSERTS ran horribly slowly - something like 50,000
> inserts in 4 hours. This extrapolates to a query that would run for
> several weeks on 5 million rows, so I stopped it again.

Did you try putting 'set autocommit=0;' at the top of your dump, and
'commit;' and at the bottom? That may help, though it sounds like it's
the index creation, and not any transaction overhead, that's causing you
trouble.

Luckily, in my case, our database is sufficiently small (on the order of
tens of thousands of rows spread out across ~50 tables) that this isn't
really an issue.

--