There is a utility called "daemonic" which is designed to deal with this
as well, but works for more than just MySQL -- it's intended to be used
for all server daemons.

http://daemonic.sourceforge.net/

It is Mac OS X-specific at this time, but according to the web site is
designed for future compatibility with any operating system.  It can be
installed via Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net) very easily, and is in
fact required by many Fink packages.

I must confess that I do not know much about it.

Erik