I work for vBulletin and have some input on this.  First off, you really
should look into upgrading to version 2.2.x, as not only are there many
new features, but there have been a number of performance enhancements
done that may help your situation.  You also might want to take a look
at the vBulletin forums ( http://www.vbulletin.com/forums/ ) for MySQL
& Server Configuration, where we might be able to give some more tuning
help specific to vBulletin.

I know a few sites that are using InnoDB, or have tested using InnoDB
tables.  vBulletin will run just fine in this configuration, however
there is one issue many users have run into:  InnoDB does not store
table counts, so select count(*) from table-name statements can take
a while, and there three of these statements on the main index.php page
for the total number of users, threads and posts.  There are some
workarounds you could look into, read this thread for more information
on that: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36219

>From the InnoDB manual:
InnoDB does not keep internally a count of rows in a table, which would
actually be somewhat complicated because of multiversioning. To answer
a query SELECT COUNT(*) FROM T InnoDB has to scan one index of the table,
which will take some time if the table is not entirely in the buffer pool.
To get a fast count you have to use a counter table you create yourself,
and let your application update it according to the inserts and deletes
it does. A way to eliminate the bottleneck posed by lock waits for the
counter is to create a whole set of counters. The application can choose
one at random each time. To get the count, just sum the counters:
SELECT SUM(counter_column) FROM your_counter_table.

Hope this helps,
Chris Schreiber