On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Byron Albert wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I have a few questions. First I work on a very high traffic site that
> uses vbulletin 1.1 to run its bb. The bb is very high traffic around
> 60-200 concurrent users. We are starting to run into some serious
> locking issues, and I am thinking about converting the high use
> tables(maby all) to innodb.
>
>  My first question is will this break anything in the application layer?

Given the other response, I take it that there are no issues without
workarounds.  The only issues we ran into in porting to InnoDB are:

1) Whereas MyISAM keeps a persistent counter for AUTO_INCREMENT values
that survives a shutdown and restart, InnoDB counters are persistent for
only as long as the server is running, and resets to one above the
currently highest counter upon next insert during the next time the server
is run.  This caused us a few problems where session IDs were being
generated in a table that would expire inactive sessions, but said session
IDs were being used as unique keys in other tables for historical
tracking.

2) InnoDB doesn't allow for multipart AUTO_INCREMENT keys.  Not a major
issue, I've only found one time that that would have been helpful.

My company is possibly going through a buyout so money is tight, but if we
survive intact, I'm going to recommend paying for support for both MySQL
and InnoDB just for voting rights on changing these two issues.  The first
is right behind subselects on my MySQL wishlist.

 >  Second we may be moving this to a new serve where I could have 6+
> disks. I have done some testing and found that after all the importing
> into innodb  all the data is around 1gb.  Would it be helpful to add
> these extra disks creating 1+gb raw partition on each one to spread the
> io across the disks and controllers. And how does innodb distribute the
> data through the table spaces?

Fills the first, then the second, etc.  If you can stripe the raw
partitions into one partition, then use that, it should be faster.