You might have just hit the nail on the head.. Server1 is replicating
everything to server2 but it is only saving changes to one particular
database. Those changes are being manually gathered via mysqlbinlog and sent
to server3. Here are the relative entries in my.cnf

Server1:
log-bin
server-id=1

Server2:
master-host=shelby1
master-user=repl
master-password=xxxxxx
server-id=2
log-bin=/var/lib/mysql/shelby-bin
binlog-do-db=registrydb_tn
log-slave-updates

Took me a while to find the log-slave-updates in the docs to get the slave
server to log a second copy. Everything seems to work great except for the
table changes though...

Anyway, thanks and hopefully this info can help you or whomever on the
development team to track this down.