Hank,

1. RH 7.1 supports files > 2GB if you choose the Enterprise/SMP flavour
(you'll be asked to choose which install you want to pursue when you put
the install CD in) No kernel re-compile needed.
2. MySQL will support large files. Also, if you use Innodb tables, many
of the large file concerns you have will be avoided, as Innodb filespace
is not dependent on file sizes - you just create a number of files, and
tables are distributed across as many large or small files as you want.
Check out www.innodb.com for more on this.
3. Do not use the RH mysql version. Get it from the Mysql website, and
use 3.23.47-max (which includes Innodb support) or higher.
4. Stability of Mysql on RH >7.1 is excellent. We haven't had a mysql
crash in 6 months - basically since we upgraded to 3.23.XX mysql, and
improved the configuration and memory usage of our database. We run RH
7.1 from the install CD, with SMP configuration which supports large
memory, files > 2GB, and so far, its performance has been excellent. I
have become very impressed with the stability of MySQL on Linux. We have
a pretty large database ( 65 million rows in one table, 3 or 4 others
with 10 million+ rows, total db size > 20GB to date ) and use this to
dynamically generate webpages and emails for our 700,000 users. MySQL
has totally made me not purchase Oracle.

Cheers,

John

Director, Software Development
Streetmail Inc.