G'day Michael, (I can't believe I'm _really_ replying to you:-)

> I don't agree that we should make the list subscribers only, as this
> would be a big drawback for newcomers to MySQL.
€€€€
I'm a classic newcomer to mysql and have only been on the list for a week or
so. It surprised me how much spam I received in that week via the list.  I
participate in 16 other lists and not one of them allows posting by
non-subscribers.

Respectfully, I don't see having to be a subscriber as being a drawback to
newcomers - although I concede the amount of traffic and the technical level
of the posts can be somewhat daunting for a newbie. If someone wants to
learn via a list they will, as I did, find the list addresses and subscribe.

cheers

kim

PS. maybe there's room for a newbie level list for all us OSX users who are
now discovering mysql and php:-)