On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 January 2002 06:20 pm, Michael Widenius wrote:
> > I think we can avoid things like this by adding some extra 'not-
> > allowed-on-the-list' words, that a non-subscribe can't use, without
> > including an extra keyword in the email.
> >
> > Sasha, what do you think about this?
>
> The point is that we block MOST spams, not EVERY spam that can be invented.
> Yes, if the spammer happens to say "********", his message will make it
[ filter word hidden to prove a point ^^^^^^^^]
> through. So what? This is just one message. If the current filter system
> proves inadequate we will consider adjusting it. But for now, requiring the
> sender to use one of the "good" words is sufficient to maintain a good signal
> to noise ratio in my opinion.

This begs the question, what is "a good signal to noise ratio?"  How much
spam must escape the filter before you consider it "inadequate?"  Can you
see that this threshold is subjective, and that we've already crossed it
for some (many?).

I joined this list several months ago.  My subjective impression (I
haven't been counting) is that the amount of spam making it through the
filter is increasing.  Perhaps this is cyclical and I just happened to
join at a low point, but it doesn't *feel* that way.  The number of
complaints about the spam is also increasing.

Your customers are telling you something.  It is easy to read the above
response as "It works well enough for me, quit whining."  I doubt that's
the professional impression you want to give.

You say, "This is just one message."  It is not.  Six of these have
escaped the filter already today.  None of them use any of the 4 filter
words.  At the very least, I'd suggest you fix the filter to actually do
what you say it does, *require* one of the "good" *words*.

Personally, I'm not that bothered by the spam.  I find deleting the spam
just as easy as deleting the 70-100 on-topic messages per day that don't
interest me.  On the other hand, I also don't see the big deal with
requiring a subscription to post.  Seems like a reasonable cost to get
otherwise free help.  (A little cost might just encourage a little more
manual reading.)

Finally, I'll just add that I've never been on a list where suggestions
that "complaining about spam to the list only adds to the problem" has had
any positive effect (despite it's apparent truth).

Michael

For the filter: charitable stableboy's vegetable grotesquery