I sent a reply back to JW about his problem on performance tuning and came
up with I thought a really good idea. But there weren't any bites so I
thought I start it on a new thread.

There are a lot of threads about setting up MySQL for the best
performance.  This might help to solve the problem.

What I'd like to see is a web page that has a MySQL/InnoDb configuration
calculator where you simply enter the specifics of your hardware (like
amount of RAM, # processors), # of connections, operating system, and
database size, and it would tell you how best to configure the cnf
file.  In fact, it could also generate the lines for the .cnf file so you
can just copy and paste it into your own file (this avoids typing mistakes
too). The web page could be hosted on MySQL or InnoDb web site. That way it
would also be accessible from the client's office too.

This would at least provide the novice user with a setup configuration that
is more accurate than he could achieve by pen and paper the first time out.
The web page could be written in PHP and is easy enough to implement and
the benefits would be enormous when you consider the # of MySQL sites out
there that could use it.

Ok, what do you think. Will this idea fly?

Brent

Heikki, are you listening? :-)