At 03:02 PM 1/30/2002 , you wrote:
>At 12:22 PM 1/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> >I sent a reply back to JW about his problem on performance tuning and
> came up with I thought a really good idea. But there weren't any bites so
> I thought I start it on a new thread.
>
>I'd like to point out that I'm pretty sure you sent the reply to me
>directly - I don't think it ever reached this list. That probably explains
>the lack of "bytes" ;-)

Yeah, I think that would account for it.<bg>

>It would also help avoid confusion of the inconsistent documentation. I
>don't mean to make any doc authors feel bad but there's something that
>don't match up on the InnoDB setup page.

Exactly. There are too many places to find the "tweaking" documentation. In
addition to the Performance Calculator page, there could be pages on manual
tuning. I'd like to see the tuning docs in one location. Not just the ones
from MySQL doc's or InnoDb, but from other sources as well.

>I do not know PHP but if there's some way I can help with this I'd be
>willing to try and pitch in. If there's at least one or 2 gurus out there
>would could answer questions one at a time, I could maybe start by making
>a list of what the page needs and what it should do for at least some of
>the values.
>
>If you'd like, I could write a static page with forms for the server-info
>to save some PHP coder at least that much time.
>
>What do you think?

There are several steps to designing the MySQL Performance Calculator:

1) We should determine what input we need to collect and what output we
need to produce (form design).  We need to keep it simple for now then
expand on it later. I definitely want to include InnoDb tuning too.
2) Once we have the form fields, someone can knock together the PHP form
(me?), get it ratified among the participants.
3) Then do the underlying calculations for it and generate the output.
4) Once the calculations are done, we can distribute the PHP code within
the group for people to test it.
5) When it is working satisfactorily we can post it up on a temporary site
to see how it stands up. We will need someone to host it for a few weeks
while we get the bugs out of it.
6) Once it passes scrutiny, then perhaps it can get posted on MySql.com. It
all depends of course how good it is.

If you would like to participate in choosing the form design, or
calculations, testing, or temporary hosting, then please e-mail me
directly. I don't think we'll get anywhere if we do it publicly because
we'd get everything including the kitchen sink thrown into it.<g> We need
to keep it simple to start with then build on it from there.

Brent