At 12:22 PM 1/30/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I sent a reply back to JW about his problem on performance tuning and came up with I
>thought a really good idea. But there weren't any bites so I thought I start it on a
>new thread.

I'd like to point out that I'm pretty sure you sent the reply to me directly - I don't
think it ever reached this list. That probably explains the lack of "bytes" ;-)

>        There are a lot of threads about setting up MySQL for the best performance.
>This might help to solve the problem.
>
>What I'd like to see is a web page that has a MySQL/InnoDb configuration calculator
>where you simply enter the specifics of your hardware (like amount of RAM, #
>processors), # of connections, operating system, and database size, and it would tell
>you how best to configure the cnf file.  In fact, it could also generate the lines
>for the .cnf file so you can just copy and paste it into your own file (this avoids
>typing mistakes too).

Even the first part would help!

>The web page could be hosted on MySQL or InnoDb web site. That way it would also be
>accessible from the client's office too.
>
>This would at least provide the novice user with a setup configuration that is more
>accurate than he could achieve by pen and paper the first time out.

It would also help avoid confusion of the inconsistent documentation. I don't mean to
make any doc authors feel bad but there's something that don't match up on the InnoDB
setup page.

>The web page could be written in PHP and is easy enough to implement and the benefits
>would be enormous when you consider the # of MySQL sites out there that could use it.

No kidding! Doubtless it would be worth it just to lower the noise level on the list.

>Ok, what do you think. Will this idea fly?

I hope so :-)

I do not know PHP but if there's some way I can help with this I'd be willing to try
and pitch in. If there's at least one or 2 gurus out there would could answer
questions one at a time, I could maybe start by making a list of what the page needs
and what it should do for at least some of the values.

If you'd like, I could write a static page with forms for the server-info to save some
PHP coder at least that much time.

What do you think?

>Brent
>
>Heikki, are you listening? :-)

Presuming that Heikki is some authoritative soul, I'd like to repeat that question :-)

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com
Central Texas IT     http://www.centraltexasit.com