> On Friday 08 February 2002 08:56, Vincent Stoessel wrote:
>
>> Apples and oranges.
>
> Yeah, I know.  But let's see if we can make some distinctions.
> If, say, Google, can search 2 trillion web pages, averaging say 70k
> bytes each, in 1 second, and Mysql can search 22 million records, with
> an index on 40 bytes each, in 3 seconds (my experience) on a good day,
> what's the order of magnitude difference?  Roughly 10^9.
>
>> Have you seen the /hardware/ run that enterprise with?
> Irrelevant, you're unlikely to get 9 orders of magnitude difference with
> faster hardware or even with clustering.

Google runs on cheap pc hardware with local IDE disk... nothing fancy. The
majority of the speed comes from "sharding" the data to distributed
indexes which are optimized for what they do, and having a frontend that
knows where to route those requests.

>> Also, their software is optimized for full text searches and that
>> is /all/ they do. Mysql is an SQL database and is optimized as such.
> Absolutely granted. You are completely right.
> And I don't expect the data format to change.
>
>  BUT:  thought experiment:
>
> When Mysql decides to generate a FULLTEXT index, it is using an index
> file, the .MYI file, which can have ANY FORMAT it wants to.  If the .MYI
> format is poorly optimized for fulltext searches, they can improve the
> format.  They can even introduce a new index file type .MYF solely for
> optimizing fulltext searche.

Agreed... however I don't know if that's the case either. Anyone
(developers?) know enough about the internals to comment on such an
approach? It seems if you know your goal is fulltext speed.. things could
probably be done better.