On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 15:40, Tod Harter wrote:
[snip]
> Wouldn't be too tough to write a little query routing system if you are using
> perl. Use DBD::Proxy on the web server side, and just hack the perl proxy
> server so it routes the query to several places and returns a single result
> set. Ordering could be achieved as well. I'm sure there are commercial
> packages out there as well. I don't see why the individual database servers
> would need to do anything special.
[snip]

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you're refering to routing
based on the first character of the word. That would work for cases
where the query is searching for a word that begins with a certain
character.. however fulltext searches also return results with the term
in the middle.

ie: a search for 'foo' could return:
foo.txt
foobar

but also could return:
thisisfoo
that_is_foolish

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that MySQL stores it's
fulltext index based on all the 'unique words' found. For such a system
as you mentioned above, you'd probably have to create your own fulltext
indexing system to determine: a) where to store the data 'segments' and
b) how to route queries.  It seems like this could probably be done much
more efficiently inside of the server.

 - Brian