Steve Rapaport wrote:
> On Friday 08 February 2002 06:14 pm, James Montebello wrote:
>
>>Distribution is how Google gets its speed.  You say clustering won't
>>solve the problem, but distributing the indicies across many processors
>>*is* going to gain you a huge speed increase through sheer parallelism.
>>

> True, but not enough.  The BEST parallelism can do  in a compute-bound
> application is divide the time by the number of processors.  That's assuming
> a PERFECT routing system.  (Correct me if I'm wrong here)

There are actually some exceptions. Specifically if you have a very large
problem set and parallelism allows you to move the problem set into a faster
storage medium, you can sometimes see greater performance increases. Lets say
you are doing a full text search. And you have a 20 GB full text index. It may
not be feasible to build a machine with 20GB of RAM for storing the index in
RAM. But it might be more feasible to store 1/20th of the index in each of 20
1GB machines. And with RAM being >1000 times as fast as hard disk. You could get
a huge win.