Hi!

Sinisa> Trond Eivind Glomsr=F8d writes:
>> "Vernon A Webb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>=20
>> > Anyone know the difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL?=20
>>=20
>> PostgreSQL has a lot of features MySQL don't have yet (transactions
>> everywhere, foreign keys, subselects, stored procedures, triggers,
>> etc), while MySQL is heavily optimized for handling big loads of
>> simple SQL.
>>=20
>> --=20
>> Trond Eivind Glomsr=F8d
>> Red Hat, Inc.
>>=20

Sinisa> Sorry Trond,

Sinisa> But MySQL has transactions and foreign keys. For the rest you a=
re
Sinisa> correct, unless you do not count myperl as stored procs.

I also strongly disagree with 'simple sql'.  'single SQL statements'
would be more accurate.

For many simply and complex SQL questions MySQL is significantly
faster that PostgreSQL, as you can easily see at:

http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmark-results/result-mysql,pg-rela=
tive.html

(Yes, I know that this doesn't tell the whole story, and thats why we
now have a team actively working on extend our benchmark suite to
cover more advanced tests;  We will shortly publish these...)

Your statements goes also the other way, MySQL does have a lot of
features and optimizations that PostgreSQL doesn't have.

You can find some of the common features at:

http://www.mysql.com/information/crash-me.php

and a more detailed comparison of MYSQL/PostgreSQL at:

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Introduction.=
html#Compare_PostgreSQL

The final line is that both MySQL and PostgreSQL are good databases.,
Without knowing a great deal of details about the target application
it's hard to saw which once is definitely better suitable for a
specific application.

MySQL AB does however have an advantage that it can provide support
for MySQL directly from the MySQL developers; We can also ensure that
all bugs gets fixed into the standard release and also incorporate
sponsored requests finds they way quickly into the standard release.

This is not something that once can get as easily for PostgreSQL.

Regards,
Monty
CTO of MySQL AB