The problem with this error is

(1).  It seems OS dependent (cannot recreate it on Linux, Solaris).
(2).  It happens randomly, no rhyme nor reason.

I am simply making a DBI call to do ALTER TABLE or tables-> command.  One
second
it could fail to open the DB directory (hence the error).  Three seconds
later, the command succeds.  No reason.  Just does.

It seems as if occassionally, a mysqld thread "forgets" its working
directory for data, and thus complains that it cannot open the database.