Good Morning Alexander!
  Looks like you have tuned your system pretty well.

> They are slightly less than 25716, is there any way to check if this
upper
> limit becoming reached sometimes?

sysctl kern.openfiles will tell you how many are open now but there is
no way to know if the upper limit is being reached except inside of
mysql you can look at 'show status' at see if the ratio of 'opened
tables' to 'open tables' is high.   If you have a much larger number
of "opened tables" something is not right.   But I suspect all is well
with your setup.  Also note the 'open files' will tell you how many
files mysql has open.

> Now there are question about innodb tables and 4.0.1.
>
> 1. What can be gained by switching to innodb inside 3.23 version,
will the
> effect be significant?

I think the biggest advantage of the innodb tables (besides
transaction capable) is the row level locking,  which mainly benefits
you if you are getting many 'table_locks_waited'.  Innodb is very good
at parallel operations.  You can set the transaction level to a low
value and avoid the speed hit from transactions as well.  Check out
Heikki's web page at www.innodb.com and
http://www.innodb.com/bench.html  Great stuff!  Also this is the
easiest thing to try,   if you have innodb table space enabled on your
server just type 'ALTER TABLE mytable TYPE=INNODB'  do this for all
you table (with that many tables I would do it with a script) and if
you don't like it 'TABLE mytable TYPE=MYISAM' to change it back.

> 2. Going to 4.0.1 with innodb - will it bring additional effect,
what is
> more important - innodb or 4.0.1 or both?

This depends on your application,  for instance the 'query cache'
feature of 4.0.1 is amazing.   If there are many reads of data that
may be repeated the query cache can signifigantly increase
performance.  I would check out the online manual for a full list of
features in 4.0.1.   The main two for me have been the query cache and
the ability for an index to be used with ORDER BY DESC.

> 3. How can I run both 3.23 and 4.0.1 on a single server, so I can
play
> with 4.0.1 before transfering all databases to it? Starting both
versions
> of daemons seems to be simple enough, but it seems the problem will
start
> with the client part - how perl libraries (DBD) can deside to which
mysql
> version they should connect? So can the mysql 3.23 clients libraries
be
> used with 4.0.1, or what are the ways of solving it?

Yes you can run two versions (but not on windows).  You must assign
the second version to another port,  which will affect you apps if you
want to use the second version the app must be told which one to
connect to.   I have not done this, but I think there is a recipe
somewhere, maybe you could repost this question or take a look in the
manual at mysql-multi (or in the local/bin directory).

Best of luck to you also,