I'm running a community site (Xoops) on Mysql 4.0.14.

I found that the speed of my site is slow during peak hours, when there are 450
concurrent uers hanging on the site. Mytop showed that the queries per second maxed at
500. I believe this could be higher, provided that I have it running on a dedicated
machine. I also noticed the load average is very high (12+ during peak hours)

In the mid run I'm planning to mirgrate to innodb for higher concurrency (I'm
currently using myisam). However, I'm seeking suggestions in fine tuning the
parameters.

The machine is a Dell PowerEdge 4400 with 2 Xeon 1G processors and 2GB of memory.
There are 4 disks running raid 0+1. Attached the my.cnf for your easy review. Thanks a
lot in advance.

Cheers,
Rainer

[client]
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[client]
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=512M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = table_cache=1024
set-variable    = sort_buffer=16M
set-variable    = join_buffer=8M
set-variable    = record_buffer=8M
set-variable    = thread_cache=512
set-variable    = max_connections=500
set-variable    = tmp_table_size=128M
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=4
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=512M
set-variable    = query_cache_size=6M
#set-variable   = max_connect_errors=1000
#set-variable   = back_log=100
#log-bin
skip-innodb

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=256M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=124M