Thanks for the advice ... I'll take a look at dbg2 ... if I get stuck, I'll
shoot you a plea for help!

Gerald Jensen

-----Original Message-----
From: BD [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 9:38 AM
To: Gerald R. Jensen
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MySQL PHP Development IDE

At 06:37 AM 2/21/2002 , you wrote:
>This off topic, but one of our programmers is interested in NuSphere's
PHPEd
>development interface and I would liek some feed back from other users.
>
>His interest lies not so much in using for database table modeling, but for
>PHP and Perl development. I am well aware of the conflict a few months ago
>between MySQL and NuSphere, but I have never heard anything one way or the
>other about PHPEd. At nearly $500 per package, it is not a decision I wish
>to make without some feedback from the community.
>
>How does PHPEd stack up compared to other PHP IDE's? What experience (good
>or bad) has anyone had with it? Is there another product that is better?
>
>Any feed back (either to the list or me me privately) will be appreciated.
>
>Gerald Jensen

Gerald,
         I tried PHPEd from NuSphere and it only partially worked. I spent
a lot of time trying to get it to work properly and failed. :(  I tried 4
or 5 different PHP debuggers and I didn't like any of them. Not being one
to give up easily, I kept looking.

         I found an excellent PHP debugger and editor from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dbg2/.

         It took a little while getting it installed because there are no
docs, but I've been using it for a month and couldn't be happier. The
author Dmitri has borrowed a lot of ideas from the Delphi IDE so using it
is quite intuitive. I use it as my main PHP editor. It is also faster than
any other PHP debugger I've tried (there are no annoying delays or screen
flashes when single stepping through the PHP code) and it can also debug
into Include files which other debuggers may not be able to do. It can also
display Local, Global, Call Stack, Watch, Immediate, Breakpoint windows at
the bottom of the screen.  It can also display arrays and all class object
properties which is very cool.

         All in all, it's a great PHP editor/debugger. There are versions
for Windows (which is what I'm using), BSD and Linux. You also get the
source code for it and you'll definitely like the price. It's free.  :-)

Brent

If you have a problem setting it up, shoot me off an email and I'll see
what I can do.