On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:53:59 -0000, DL Neil wrote:

>BTW: this apparent accreditation (below) is incorrect/an accident of editing? I
>didn't say this. It was Doug (he
>says pointing an accusative finger). Doug whilst I'm (appearing to) round on you,
>contrary to your comment about
>lack of evidence, Benjamin Pflugman and I responded to Richard's first msg and BOTH
>reproduced the original
>phenomenon.
>
>It is true that I tested on a Windows box, but I can't say what Benjamin's is, to
>know if it has anything to do
>with M$ particularly - but don't let the mere facts get in the way of a salacious
>story (M$ don't!)

I missed Benjamin's and your replies.  I apologize for suggesting there was apathy
being exercised. ;)

I spent the last couple of hours replacing the mainboard in another box I have here
and doing some testing.  It now has the
same board/cpu as this Win98SE machine.  It is running Linux-Mandrake 8.0 with MySQL
3.23.38 which came with the LM distro.

I then created a table and populated it with fifteen, or so, rows of data.

The SELECT statement that started this thread :

SELECT number,round(number,digits) FROM testme
was then tested as well as a few variations.  I also retested on this Win98 machine.

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|        Win98SE / AMD cpu       |       Mandrake 8.0 / AMD cpu   |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+
|          MySQL 3.23.43         |             MySQL 3.23.38      |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| ROUND(cola,colb) works         | ROUND(cola,colb) works         |
| Rounding is DOWN from 0.500    | Rounding is UP from 0.500      |
| F.P. format is inherited by    | F.P. format is inherited by    |
|       calculated column        |       calculated column        |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------+

I don't believe I made it clear that ROUND(cola,colb) always worked for me on the
Windows machine, too.

>Thank you to Roger for a concise summary of the two issues: the somewhat familiar
>C-rounding
>library-inconsistency problem had (to my mind) started to overshadow the original
>issue with ROUND().

Perhaps.  It was very well stated.  Though, my results above would lead one to
conclude that there is only a problem with C-
rounding.  I'm not suggesting that should be a final assessment; merely commenting on
the one set of data and the possible
difficulty of nailing down the cause.

>I agree, feeling that it is either a bug in MySQL or a 'bug' in the documentaitno -
>as I said at the time and
>was restated/reworded today. All of the manual examples give a constant as the number
>of significant figures for
>this and similar functions, but the command templates seem to say that a column value
>or variable could be used.
>
>I had forgotten that Benjamin had announced his firm grasp on the initiative - I
>guess my less teutonic (but
>nevertheless tidy, if small) mind felt that I should ensure Richard scooped that
>particular pool - some people
>think such things deserve some 'credit', because it is certainly not everyday anyone
>finds a genuine bug in
>MySQL!
>
>More of interest, I'd like to hear from one of the MySQL AB people, to find out if
>there is a misunderstanding
>of how things should really be, or if it is in fact a bug?

Moved and seconded.

Doug

(Bot bottleneck botulin: query)