hi,

the source rpm for mysql 3.23.49 contains build instructions for gnu
compilers 2.95 or newer.
redhat 6.2 comes with a compiler that cannot handle the "permissive"
flag (i think its ecgs-2.91).

therefore the build fails.

one solution could be to install a more recent compiler version and try
to recompile again. be aware that actual rpm's will be created by rpm
version 4, whereas redhat 6.2 has rpm version 3 installed which possibly
cannot handle version-4-rpm's (although there had been a rpm-3 version
which could _read_ rpm-4 packages - i think it was 3.0.5.)

besides that, there may be glibc issues. redhat 6.2 has glibc 2.1.3
installed. i don't know if actual gcc or mysql versions work ok if
compiled against this 'old' glibc. afaik, redhat does _not_ recommend to
update the glibc version installed...

if you dont have very specific reasons to stick with redhat 6.2 in my
opinion it could be simpler just to install a later redhat version...

not sure if this really helps...

bye
michael