try running safe_mysqld without any options
I wouldn't know why you would need to specify a user name to start the
daemon

-----Original Message-----
From: Intrex [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 5:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'Mysql'
Subject: Re: mysql on Linux

I know in at least 2 e-mails I did indeed mention that I executed
safe_mysqld -u root, So I did it using your syntax, safe_mysqld --user=root,
I had the same text returned which again said the following.

Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
020305 17:46:10 mysqld ended

I presume that means that mysqld "ended"  Basically the mysql started then
abruptly stopped.  Again the error in the ONLY error log "linux.err" said
the exact same text that was displayed on my screen, making that no help.

There is no mysql.sock on my system because the server is not running,
anyone have any REAL ideas?  The documentation is of NO help whatsoever and
I am getting very frustrated with it.

Trying mysqp -u root -p<password> was a desperate attempt to try it another
way.  As I have done numerous different ways.  I don't know how many
different ways I can try to get mysqld daemon running.

Mark