Today I migrated my system to RH7.1.  I had been running mysql on Mandrake 7.2 but I
wanted to use the newer versions
which require kernel 2.4.x.

I experienced exactly the same problems as you with the RPM of mysql which came with
the RH distro.  I looked at
everything and then some that had been pointed out in this thread and was having
equally poor results.  No amount of
fiddling caused the symptoms to change in the slightest.

I solved the problem by downloading the 3.23.49a RPM from mysql.com and installing
that.  First time I tried the new
version, it worked exactly like it is supposed to.  I was both surprised and pleased
with this outcome.  Fixes for
such nasty problems aren't supposed to be so easy. 8-)

I'm not going to try to guess what the exact problem is.  I'm just letting you know
how I resolved it.

Hope you have as much good luck,
Doug

The