On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Ireneusz Piasecki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is very interesting, what are you wwriting, but:
>

> " To determine if you should be concerned about this compiler issue, execute
> gcc -v from the command prompt on your system. If the compiler reports
> version 2.96, then there is a problem (this is the case, for example on RH
> 7.x series or Mandrake 8.x). In this case, you should not try to compile
> your own binary before downgrading to one of the compilers mentioned above.
> You should also NOT use the MySQL server provided with your distribution --
> as this copy of MySQL was compiled with the same ill-advised compiler
> version. "
> this is from http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html
> I understud, don't compile mysql with 2.96 of gcc.
> I'm confiused.
>
> The query is: Compile server mysql with 2.96 or not ?

2.96RH. It's more widely used than gcc3 (which has had grave problems, but
have been stabilizing) and gcc 2.95 (which is also rather bad...)[1] would
definitely be the one I recommend. We trust it enough that when we upgrade
the compiler to gcc 3.1 someday in the future, the kernel will probably
stay with gcc 2.96RH.

[1] It's the standard compiler for both RHL and Mandrake
--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.