Did you check the mysql db, host, and user tables to make sure that
'localhost' and 'administrator' have appropriate permissions to use your
desired database?  This issue caused me much frustration until I had
things set right.  You should see something like the following.  I'm
assuming that your PHP application and your mysql db live on the same
box.  If it's a PHP issue, then I don't know what to advise you since I
don't know PHP.

mysql> use mysql;
mysql> select * from user;
+-------------------------+----------+------------------+-------------+-
------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+-----
--------+---------------+--------------+-----------+------------+-------
----------+------------+------------+
| Host                    | User     | Password         | Select_priv |
Insert_priv | Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv |
Reload_priv | Shutdown_priv | Process_priv | File_priv | Grant_priv |
References_priv | Index_priv | Alter_priv |
+-------------------------+----------+------------------+-------------+-
------------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+-----
--------+---------------+--------------+-----------+------------+-------
----------+------------+------------+
| localhost               | administrator     |                  | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y         | Y
| Y             | Y            | Y         | Y          | Y
| Y          | Y          |

mysql> select * from host;
+-------------------------+-------+-------------+-------------+---------
----+-------------+-------------+-----------+------------+--------------
---+------------+------------+
| Host                    | Db    | Select_priv | Insert_priv |
Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Grant_priv |
References_priv | Index_priv | Alter_priv |
+-------------------------+-------+-------------+-------------+---------
----+-------------+-------------+-----------+------------+--------------
---+------------+------------+
| localhost           | your_db_name | Y           | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y         | Y          | Y               |
Y          | Y          |

mysql> select * from db;
+-------------------------+---------+----------+-------------+----------
---+-------------+-------------+-------------+-----------+------------+-
----------------+------------+------------+
| Host                    | Db      | User     | Select_priv |
Insert_priv | Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv |
Grant_priv | References_priv | Index_priv | Alter_priv |
| localhost (you could try % if the box isn't visible to anyone but you)
| your_db_name   | administrator | Y           | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y         | Y          | Y               |
Y          | Y          |