Ok, if never run it then you have to start once, if I remember right undex
Red Hat, you have to go to /etc/rc.d/init.d and do this...

./mysql start that will start it

Then you will need to set it up so it will start later. SuSE you have to
start it once....

You will then need to set a password for mysql.

I hope that helps.

 ----------------------------
 | Chuck Payne              |
 | Magi Design and Support  |
 | www.magidesign.com       |
 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |

BeOS, Macintosh 68K, Classic, and OS X, Linux Support.
Web Design you can afford.

Fortune for today --

Q:  How many Zen masters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A:  None.  The Universe spins the bulb, and the Zen master stays out
    of the way.