I am trying to set up MyODBC on a Win2K box to access MySQL on a Linux machine.  I am
getting an error message that says my host is not allowed to connect.  I then tried to
run a GRANT query under the mysql on the Linux machine to create a valid user in the
hosts table.

I am using version 3.22.32 and logged in as root.  When I try to perform a GRANT
statement, I get the error message "ERROR 1045: Access denied for user:
'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)"  Any ideas why root is not allowed rights?
How do I give root user root access?  Did I set up mysql incorrectly from the start?
The root user seems to be able to do everything else.

Rob